I returned to PCY on Friday, and we finished our lesson on THC and marijuana. First, we refreshed what we talked about last time:
- Marijuana is not a vitamin or a health food.
- Marijuana is a plant that contains the hallucinogenic drug THC.
- THC makes your heart beat faster and disrupts balance, vision, coordination and reaction time.
- THC makes it hard to recall information and negatively impacts learning.
- Kids that use THC may permanently lower their intelligence.
- THC can be just as addictive as any of the other recreational drug.
- Abusing THC can trigger mental illness.
- Smoking/vaping marijuana is just as bad for your lungs as smoking/vaping anything else.
After that, we finished watching the video: Marijuana and the Teen Brain, and then I answered the kids questions.
When we were done with the video, we had a little extra time to play a board game named Spend or Save. The game plays like Candyland, but the idea is that the players are trying to save money for a summer trip, and the cards they draw tell them if they have spent their money or saved it.
As I wrote in the last entry, I think its important to talk to the kids about marijuana in depth at least once a year, and you can see how each presentation builds on the material from the previous year. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at email@example.com.